Sunday, September 11, 2016

80s SoCal Punk Behind The Poem in a recent issue of Chiron Review


I was excited to have a poem in a recent issue of Chiron Review (issue #101 Fall 2015) and several people asked me if the poem was based on a real photograph. It was and I finally found the photo, so I thought I'd post about the backstory.

I went to a local art gallery (Modified Arts) a few years ago to see an exhibit called "We Got Power! Hardcore Punk Scenes From 1980s Southern California"
http://loudwire.com/we-got-power-hardcore-punk-photos/


It was a display of gritty photographs by Dave Markey and Jordan Schwartz, the proprietors of We Got Power fanzine based in Los Angeles who were at the epicenter of the early 80's scene. Candid shots from early shows of bands like Black Flag, The Minutemen, etc. 

(back when Henry Rollins had hair)


This is the one that caught my attention and ended up inspiring the poem in Chiron Review:


No comments:

Post a Comment