Saturday, January 20, 2018

Rinky Dink Press pocket-sized poetry for the people

One of the projects that keeps me busy is Rinky Dink Press.

It's a little DIY indie punk kind of press that publishes pocket-sized collections of micro-poems. Each folded zine has 5 or 6 poems that are limited to around 20-35 words. A few years ago, I noticed the call for their debut series and I had no idea who was behind it, but I loved the idea so I was eager to submit.
rinky dink press (rdp) is on a mission to get poetry back into the hands (and pockets) of the people – each of our single author collections can fit in your pocket, but we never sacrifice craft, and despite the tiny format, we refuse to sacrifice style.
In short, we’re a microzine press that marries a DIY attitude with skilled poetics and fine-art aesthetics.

They didn't get many submissions for that first series so my odds were good and they published my collection of poems about the clowns that were causing trouble in the California town of Wasco. Here are a few of those poems:


It turned out that the press was founded by a group of ASU students and their Professor who is one of my friends, so they asked if I would join their editorial team for the next series and I've been involved ever since. Twice a year we publish microzine collections from 10 poets and we now get hundreds of submissions from around the world.

We are preparing for the launch of series 4 on Friday February 2nd.
If you're in Phoenix, AZ come to our launch party at the new Local First AZ headquarters (407 E Roosevelt St, Phoenix, Arizona 85004). If you're elsewhere, check out our website for submission guidelines and sample poems from all of our titles that are priced to move at ONE DOLLAR a piece:
https://rinkydinkpress.com/


4 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea, this format, and your get-involved gumption!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so neat! I will try to purchase a full set soon. This is the perfect way to try out poetry from many poets for a great price!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, these little collections also function like efficient business cards. It's a good way to introduce a variety of poets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go indie punk my people before you were born I knew you

    ReplyDelete